Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why do you need to provide ID in property matters?

A: In order to comply with the law on money laundering and the requirements of mortgage lenders and the Land Registry, we need to obtain evidence of your identity as soon as practicable. We do this by making an electronic check against the name, date of birth and address that you supply to us.

We usually ask you to supply is with at least two of the following:

  • a valid full passport; or
  • a valid H M Forces identity card with the signatory’s photograph; or
  • a valid UK Photo-card driving licence;
  • Date of Birth and National Insurance Number
  • a cheque guarantee card, credit card (bearing the Mastercard or Visa logo) American Express or Diners Club card, debit or multi-function card (bearing the Switch or Delta logo) issued in the United Kingdom with an original account statement less than three months old; or
  • a firearm and shot gun certificate; or
  • a receipted utility bill less than three months old; or
  • a council tax bill less than three months old; or
  • a council rent book showing the rent paid for the last three months; or
  • a mortgage statement from another lender for the mortgage accounting year just ended;

Verification of identity of persons resident overseas where it is not possible for their identity to be verified by a UK conveyancer, then an additional form verification of is required by the land registry.

Q: Is Decree Absolute all I need?

A: We would recommend that you resolve financial matters on divorce even if neither of you seek to make financial remedies claims against each other at the time. Decree Absolute is no bar to either spouse initiating court proceedings often many years after decree absolute. We recommend that the parties lodge with the Court a Consent Order that has the effect of preventing these types of claims. The most recent case of Wyatt v Vince [2016] saw the former wife receiving a significant lump sum payment from the former husband 19 years after Decree Absolute.

Speak to Louise Martin our Family Lawyer for details of how we can help on 01630 652405.