Onions & Davies has a dedicated property team of specialist conveyancing solicitors and lawyers who can help you buy a wide range of freehold and leasehold residential properties, including Buy-to-Let, New Build Developments and Help-to-Buy.
Buying a Home
If you are buying a home, especially for the first time, understandably, you may feel unsure about the processes involved.
We understand the stresses involved and will work closely with you, the estate agent and your mortgage adviser to achieve a smooth and efficient move.
What is involved in the conveyancing process of buying a home?
- Once your offer is accepted, you should give the estate agent our details. They will subsequently issue a memorandum of sale outlining all the involved parties and ask the seller’s solicitor to produce the contract paper
- These include a draft contract, the property information form and the fixtures and fittings form. Upon receipt, we will forward these documents to you for review and encourage you to share your comments as soon as possible.
- We aim to proactively address as many queries as possible with the seller’s solicitor at this stage to minimise potential delays in the later stages of the transaction.
- If you are buying with the benefit of a mortgage, your mortgage offer will be issued, and the necessary searches will be undertaken. The lender will have carried out a mortgage valuation, but you should also consider having a full survey done.
- Once the search results have been received and all questions stemming from the contract papers and the survey have been satisfactorily answered, a report can be sent to your lender, and contracts can be exchanged. Before exchanging contracts, you have to be sure of everything, including a completion date, because everything becomes legally binding at that point.
- You will probably have to pay a deposit on exchange of contracts and then provide us with the amount of money needed to complete the transaction. You will also have to insure the property from exchange of contracts as you are legally obliged to buy it.
- Between exchange and completion, the transfer or conveyance is drawn up and signed, and the final practical questions regarding keys and moving arrangements are resolved.
- On completion, the money must pass from the top of the chain (the first buyer) to the bottom of the chain (the last seller) and only when each seller’s solicitor can confirm that they have received the money can the keys be released to each buyer.
As you can see, the whole transaction involves a series of stages. Our job is to guide you through those stages, safeguarding your interests by verifying the property value aligns with your investment. At Onions & Davies, we do this by leveraging our vast experience, engaging in consistent and effective communication, and ensuring we ask the right questions to ensure a smooth transaction.
We can also assist you with other matters sometimes associated with property sale and purchase, such as Wills or inheritance and family law disputes, such as divorce, separation, and financial settlements.
We believe that it is important for you to be clear about how much you are going to be charged before we start work for you. We will always give you a quote and if this has to change for any reason, for example if matters become more complicated part way through, we will let you know how much the increased cost will be before beginning the extra work. Most of our residential property matters are completed on a fixed fee basis and the lawyer working on your case will ensure you are fully aware of all costs associated with your case. You can view more detailed information on the fees that we charge for a property sale or purchase by visiting our costs information page.
Get in Touch
To speak with our residential property team today you can call us on 01630 652405 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2018 Onions & Davies. Onions & Davies Solicitors is the trading name of Onions & Davies Ltd, Company Reg. No. 8322297, Registered Office address: 91 Cheshire Street, Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9 3AF. Onions & Davies is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA ID Number: 607617)